Re: [RC] Hidalgo and Spanish Mustangs - jamie

--- Jim Mitchell <navion2@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The truth is Spanish Mustangs
or the older "broncs" or range mustangs didn't need
a person like Frank to portray them positively. The
highest mileage horse at the 2001 XP was at least
1/2 Spanish Mustang, it was the only Spanish Mustang
at the ride I believe.  1650 miles in 8 weeks, you
can view pictures and his story on the XP web page I
think.
    The researched and documented story that has
been discussed here and is available in an out of
print book called "The Great Endurance Horse Race"
(?) certainly shows the stamina and ability of range
horses (mustangs) from the early 1900's when pitted
against blue bloods of other breeds.

Interesting sidenote, somewhat related:
(In the words of Mr. Hopkins himself)
"I believe the Indian ponies are without a doubt
horses that were brought here by the Spanish ? the
Mustang were the same horse until other horses got
mixed with them, horses that got away from the Army
and wagon trains during the troubles with the wild
bands. The Indians kept their ponies herded and in
that way kept the blood clear. Inbreeding was the
cause of their ponies being so small."
What he was getting at was that the purebred horses of
the desert were of the same blood as the Mustangs,
because they came from the Spanish, which got their
horses from the Arabs.
(That's where he was going with it, anyway)

Jamie