Re: [RC] allergies - Ed & Wendy Hauser

I don't remember all of the details, but if I remember correctly:

The PI (and its close relatives) have an acid (starts with an "R") that
binds with proteins in the skin.  The bound proteins then are seen by the
immune system as foreign proteins and a full scale attack is launched.
Because of antibodies created subsequent exposures produce a more severe
reaction, characteristic of allergy.  The time required for binding of the
oily acid with the protein is the reason that careful washing of the skin
(within an hour or so) can prevent an attack, and why the reactions are
normally delayed for 24 to 48 hours.

Whatever the sequence of events, it is no fun to live in an area where PI is
prevalent if you are sensitive.
Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM