Re: [RC] Native Americans/Hidalgo - Lysane Cree

Well, you will have to give me a few days :) I am on a business trip right now so might not get to see the movie for about a week. Sorry :(
My initial thought is that this movie does take place in a time period when there was tons of racism against Native Americans. So if this is being shown in the movie, it would be a reflection of the times. Of course, how well this is portrayed/explained in the movie depends.....
But the Wild West shows did portray stereotypical "Indians" - it's easy to say in modern times that those people should not have participated in the Wild West shows, but at the same time, at this point in history most Native Americans had been so ravaged by disease, war, forced relocation, massacres, etc., that I'm sure some of them saw their participation in the Wild West shows as an "out"  - an "out" from the reservations, where it was "illegal" for them to leave, and if they did they would be viewed as insurgents, rebels and probably killed if they refused to return.
Wounded Knee was an all out massacre, over 200 Lakota people, mostly women and children, were killed. There was/is nothing pretty or "Disney-ish" about it. And to try to portray it "nicely" would be a complete lie.
...And so on the topic of endurance...I was thrilled to see a Paint horse in the movie, whether or not Hopkins actually did ride such a race.....I have a Paint at home that I hope to do endurance and competitive trail on when she is old enough. So when I saw the previews of a nice looking Paint horse running across the desert, that was a plus for me :)  LOL

Lysane

<I will be interested to hear what Lysane has to say about the=
<Native Americans.  I personally thought that Disney kinda=
<portrayed Wounded Knee for what it was, ok, I don't know about=
 <the historical accuracy but it was a blood bath.  The Native=
< Americans portrayed in the Wild West Show, I thought they=
<conducted themselves with quite a bit of dignity in a very=
<tragic situation.  People do what people have to do to survive=
<in terrible situations.  Ok Lysane we're waiting.....