[RC] Article from the Billings Gazette - Cindy Collins

Ridecampers:  I thought this was a really neat article that promotes the
ideas of continuing to learn and improve our horsemanship, along with
cross training horses using dressage.  I faithfully take my dressage and
jumping lessons once a week during our Wyoming winters.  There are times
that I just dread hooking up my trailer and I hate indoor arenas, BUT it
has made such a difference in me and in my endurance horses.  CC
Evolution of a cowchick
By Polly Olsen-Namen

There are several excellent riding instructors and facilities available in
the area. Proper instruction can help riders of any skill level improve
their abilities. At right, Olsen-Namen riding Spot with her dog Harley at
their side.I have recently rekindled a lifelong dream - the dream of
becoming an excellent rider.

"You're taking riding lessons?" people ask in disbelief. "But you have
ridden horses all your life!"
In an ideal world, it seems that inexperienced riders would learn to ride
with proper instruction and on advanced level school horses, as is done in
Germany and much of Europe. In Montana however, most of us learned to ride
on whatever was handy with hair on it, and had only the School of Hard
Knocks for instruction. My siblings and I have teased our father in recent
years, asking if he was actually trying to kill us by putting us on some
of the horses we rode as youngsters, or if he truly just didn't know any
better. He's never answered, come to think of it, he just laughs...
Riding horses has always been a tremendous source of joy to me. I am
fortunate to share this passion with my siblings, thanks to our father's
dedication to provide us the opportunity to fall in love with horses. The
horses were a tie that bound our family together. I had always wanted to
have some riding instruction, and had some specific weaknesses I wanted to
work on. Two winters ago, I convinced my sister to take dressage lessons
with me. We hoped to have some fun, and it would provide a way for us to
ride more frequently until Spring and its accompanying daylight rolled
around. What I didn't know is that I had stumbled upon an incredible
blessing. I had found an opportunity to pursue my dream. I had found a
remarkable instructor that offered a comprehensive program, and a
top-notch facility - a recipe for success.
We are blessed with at least two remarkable dressage instructors in the
Billings area; Katrina Tiensvold of Huntley, who instructs regularly at
Creekside Ranch, and Sue Sherry of Powell, a monthly visiting clinician.
Their remarkable international education and experience have provided them
with a level of knowledge uncommonly found anywhere in the United States.
In addition to knowledge, they both have that special gift that only true
teachers possess - the ability to translate their knowledge into something
that individual students can absorb and apply. They are both fine people
with the right motivations. They endeavor to make the horse happier and
healthier through his athletic training, and to expand the riders' skill
and understanding.
The art of Dressage has been developing since ancient times. The training
of both the horse and rider is an unending evolution toward improved
balance, strength, harmony and suppleness. The resulting athleticism and
confidence in the horse is remarkable. I am so thrilled with the progress
of my common cow ponies. Their continuous improvement and enthusiasm is an
exciting result that I hadn't even considered. I had only hoped to improve
my own riding skill. My evolution, like most pursuits, has shown me that
the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. I am so encouraged
when, for a few fleeting moments, I succeed in getting out of my horses'
way (and out of my own way) and enjoy the resulting magic.
Dressage (rhymes with "massage", derived from a French term meaning
"training") is not only a method of schooling, but also a competitive
equestrian sport. Every horse can benefit from dressage training
regardless of its size, breed and ultimate use. As dressage develops the
horse's physique and suppleness, the horse's three natural gaits improve
and the gymnastic exercises cause the horse to be supple equally on both
sides and to respond willingly and obediently, moving freely forward with
pure gaits and an even tempo.
Although there are advantages to a well-made dressage saddle, you really
don't need much in the way of equipment to get started in dressage
training. A well balanced saddle shaped so that it places your heels
underneath you with your shoulders over your hips will serve you well,
providing it properly fits your horse - and a basic snaffle bit with a
smooth mouthpiece. Most instructors have equipment they would gladly loan
for the lessons if you don't have this tack already on hand.
Winter this far north is a huge barrier for even the most dedicated riders
due to short daylight and lingering ice that causes treacherous footing.
Those of us that work in town at office jobs all day have no daylight
available during the week and appreciate the tremendous advantage of
having a well-lit, dry place to ride in the dark, cold months. The lovely
Creekside Ranch facility, south of Huntley, goes far beyond the
prerequisite lights and roof, however.
People often form remarkable relationships when they are able to do things
they love together. Barn buddies are no exception to that phenomenon -
encouragement, competition and motivation are in abundance among the
riders. The camaraderie is a highly rewarding fringe benefit. The riders
are a terrific group of people - highly diverse in all aspects of their
background and skill level - yet unified in their goal toward better
horsemanship. Many bring their own horses to class, many others ride the
wonderful school horses, and many do both. If you're wondering who you
might meet in a dressage lesson - in addition to the pure dressage student
- you might meet a true beginner with no horse history, an accomplished
barrel racer that is seeking an alternative way to better balance her
horse for better turns, a hunter/jumper that needs better balance and
timing to more safely approach her fences, or a perfectionist cowgirl like
me that just wants EVERYthing to be better.
Horses continue to bless and unite my family. My husband and children and
I enjoy them for rodeo, hunting, O-Mok-Sees, cattle work, trail riding,
and now dressage. I marvel at how horses patiently teach us volumes about
life, relationships and about ourselves.

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond