Re: [RC] Gas survey revisited - Bette Lamore

This cannot be characterized as a hoax, Chris
I read snopes all the time. This is just one person's idea for a solution and snopes disagrees with it. It is up to each individual to evaluate whether or not they believe a boycott could work. It is possible that Mobile and Exxon could lower their prices as a reaction to the boycott. I guess the only way we would know is if enough people go along with it.
The Von's strike in CA was somewhat successful in that the big three (Von's, Albertsons and Ralph's) failed to break the Union, which was their intent. HOWEVER, the employees will never fully recover their lost wages during those five months. Was the strike worth it to them? The ones I have asked said it was a matter of principle and they don't regret the initial strike by Von's employees.
Would a boycott change the prices of gas? Perhaps not, but perhaps we would feel a little better by doing something, since most of us cannot give up gasoline (although I wish there were less SUV's in the US--- EXCEPT by horse people who really need them and not by homemakers who toodle out to the grocery store and have a dickens of a time parking the @#$^#$^ things! :-)

Chris Paus wrote:

People.. please check urban legends before passing this stuff on. This boycott thing is untrue.. it's a hoax, an urban myth, etc... http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gasout.htm chris

Becky Rohwer <rj7647@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Gas prices in western Montana are running some where around $1.59
    a gallon
    right now. I just got an e-mail about a gas boycott too, and to me
    it does
    kind of make sense. Although the one I got says boycott Exxon and
    Mobile.
    I don't know how well it would work, but feel it is worth a try if
    MANY
    people would band together. I suppose some people would think it
    was an
    inconvience if they have to drive a little further to find a different
    station, but even for a week or two it just might make an impact on a
    company.

    This is a big concern for me, and I would think a lot of riders in
    Montana, as we don't have a lot of rides that are close to us.
    Last year
    the closest ride I traveled to was 200 miles one way. Montana is a
    big a**
    state and we don't have many rides here. Most of our riding is
    done out of
    state. When I traveled to the Labor Day Weekend ride last year in
    Washington and came to a station with gas over $2.00 a gallon I
    hyper-ventilated for a couple minutes before I filled my tank. But
    since I
    was already on the road I couldn't decide not to go because of gas
    prices, I
    had to just suck it up and pay.

    So if a boycott of a couple major gas companies might make an
    impact. I
    will get on board. How about it. Exxon, Shell, and Mobile - No Way.

Becky Rohwer - Montana

============================================================ We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes. ~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm

"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views. It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing. Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me. ~ Leslie Beyers