Re: [RC] Genetic diseases - heidi

1. Does the individual have a unique enough genetic heritage to warrant
breeding on?  When we (actually Wendy) started looking for stallions for
her SCID clear mare, we quickly found that there was a large pool of
suitable stallions, with pedigrees that suited Wendy and complemented
the mare who were SCID clear.

This may well be the case when you are looking at just one cross to
produce one foal for your own use.  It is frequently NOT the case when one
is looking at a long-term breeding program that spans over several decades
and many generations.

Is this colt's heritage unique enough that the genes must be preserved?
When I look at the pedigrees of a fair number of stallions (particularly
in color breeds) I can not see any plan in the breeding program.  It
looks like horses (who may have been good individuals) were just bred
together.

And this IS all too often the case--in which case the horse (whether it be
a mare or a stallion) is not really bred to be a breeding animal in the
first place.  So yes, in such cases, gelding should be the first
consideration, even BEFORE one tests for SCID.  A great majority of
American Arabian pedigrees represent a very random set of breedings, so
what you say holds true in such cases--not to mention that there are a
thousand more just like them down the block.

I then begin to believe that
there is a good chance that even very superior individuals will produce
a variety of offspring, many of whom will not resemble their sire (or
dam).

True, to some extent.  The more variation in the pedigree, the more
variation among the offspring.  The more consistent the pedigree, the more
consistent the offspring.  That said, a pedigree is not a blueprint--it is
a set of possibilities.  There is always going to be SOME variation,
depending on how much variation there is in the pedigree.

Is this colt's performance potential that outstanding that he must breed
on? (i.e. does he have the potential of producing world cup winners?)

But more importantly (and again, why are we just harping on the colts
here?  The mares are the REAL crux of any breeding program...) even if
this colt HAS great performance potential himself, is he bred in such a
way that he is APT to pass it on?  See the comments above about variation
in pedigree.  I learned an early lesson in this with Thoroughbreds--we had
ranch mares sired by a Remount stallion who was a complete dud at the
track, but was sired by a stallion who won both the Preakness and the
Belmont and was second in the Derby.  This stallion (the sire) came from a
very unproductive pedigree, and was the one fluke in his family--and true
to his pedigree, was unable to pass on his capabilities.  Performance
isn't the only key to breeding--the ability to pass it on has to be there
as well.

Is this colt's conformation extremely good?

Bingo.  SCID carrier status is just one fault among many.  When you get
the colt who has exactly what you want to carry forward from that
breeding, and he is head and shoulders above his brothers in quality (or
the filly, I will add again), but he/she is the one that happens to be the
carrier, you are far better off to go with the quality individual and
manage the carrier status--you will have another shot at weeding it out in
subsequent generations.

I would bet that in almost all cases, given the numbers of Arabian (or
QH when genetic testing becomes available)  horses in the US, if one
were objective, this colt would not be in say the top 10% in all these
categories and thus should be gelded.  To be fair one would do the same
evaluation of a filly, and choose not to breed her on the same basis.

Thank you for including the fillies.  As it happens the QH problem with HC
happens to be in a very prolific line.  Many of the Arab SCID carriers are
from families that were so depleted by politics and fear of SCID that they
have become rare birds indeed.  Some of these families are slowly being
built back by diligent breeders who take care to work around SCID--but a
great deal of genetic material has sadly already been lost to the breed.
And in many cases, it represented some of the best the breed had to offer.

There are also some "preservation breeders" of relatively rare lines
Arabian horses.  Their breeding programs need to be much closer to the
breeding of rare breeds of horses.

Bingo.  See the above.  The reason for being a "preservation breeder" is
not to preserve names in pedigrees--it is to preserve the traits that the
ancestral horses had, which are in too many cases rare.  It is no surprise
to look at the stats of Tevis winners and see how the "preservation" lines
appear with a far greater frequency than what they appear in the general
gene pool.  Preservation breeding within the Arabian breed is about
keeping the sorts of Arabians in production that people can get on and
ride, and do athletic endeavors.

3. The decision would be much harder if the genetics were  unique.  This
reads on the rare dogs in a previous post, and in the horse world
relates to horses of the rare breeds  (Kigers, Akl Tekes, etc. {by the
way I DO NOT have any information or suspicion that these breeds have
specific problems with any particular bad or lethal recessive genes
whether testable or not.}).    In this case all breeders are
preservation breeders, and would have to carefully weigh the pros and
cons of each mating.

And not just rare breeds--as above, this applies within breeds as well.  I
know of (and own one, among my 13 stallions) carrier stallions that are
the last representatives of entire branches of their sire lines.  Will we
breed them?  You betcha.  Do we hope we get a clear son or grandson at
some point that carries forward their other qualities?  You betcha.  But
to geld them would be idiotic.

They will,of course,  look for clear offspring as
preferred sires and dams of the next generation.  I have read a bit
about the breeding practices of early Arabian breeders in the USA.  The
stories of these programs, with their intensive close breeding of the
few outstanding individuals, are very instructive as to how to properly
run a breeding program.  If I remember correctly, Bazy once imported a
stallion that was rumored to have produced what is now known as an SCID
foal.  She advertised nationally and bred him to about 20 mares who had
produced SCID foals.  She got almost half SCID foals.  She immediately
gelded him because she did not want to breed this fault on in her herd.
Note that this was all done before the advent of testing.  If this were
to happen today, I'll bet that she would have bred him on, and tested
his offspring, removing the positives and breeding on only his get who
were clear.  In her case she could breed multiple times to the right
mares and then only select the absolute best to remain in her program.
How many of us have the money and time to do that?

Well said.  Most of us don't have the money, but we are taking the time...

Heidi

REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ Heidi Sowards