Re: [RC] When to stop feeding fat before a race - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Realistically, carrots cannot be overfed.  10 pounds of carrots = 1 gallon
of water and good fiber, vit A, etc.

I thought so too, until we treated a (very minor) colic from a horse that
got into the feed room and mowed his way through roughly 75 pounds of
carrots in a day.  Wow, that horse REALLY liked carrots.  He wasn't even
really sick, just had a slightly urpy look about him.  However, he proved
the exception to the rule that even carrots can be overdone if the horse
tries hard enough.  On a ride, I wouldn't have any trouble handing out 5 lbs
every loop or so, plus a few more pounds in the mash at the check.

Susan G
SUSAN E. GARLINGHOUSE, DVM, MS
Michael S. Peralez, DVM & Associates
1005 North Santa Anita Drive
Arcadia, California 91006
(626) 446-8911
http://www.shady-acres.com/susan

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM