Re: [RC] When to stop feeding fat before a race - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Hi all,
One question that I didn't get to ask. Do I stop feeding flax seed or a rice bran product, like Empower, 3 days before the ride as well?
Vickie

In general, I would probably limit more than about a pound or so per feeding before or during the ride, and make sure the horse is getting other sources of forage and carbs, ie beet pulp, hay, soaked hay cubes, etc.  I don't want to totally rule out the idea of feeds that contain some fats, only because those feeds are generally very tasty and good to get the horse to eat other feeds mixed in with them.  The idea is just to not purposely add straight fats during a ride weekend, such as liquid or prilled fats---they just don't add much benefit directly during the ride, and can limit fiber and water intake, which should remain the highest priorities.

Susan G
SUSAN E. GARLINGHOUSE, DVM, MS
Michael S. Peralez, DVM & Associates
1005 North Santa Anita Drive