Re: [RC] orange/red/yellow urine? - Mike & Kathy Kelly

When I first got my horse he was being fed alfalfa and I remember the orange/red spots from his pee.  But now I have 3 horses, fed grass hay, and their pee spots in the snow are yellow.  Yes, its cold, its been below freezing for several days and near 0 at night.  So what exactly in the pee causes the discoloration?  Does it have to do with iron?  My grass hay is quite high in iron.  I'm confused.