Re: [RC] Paint Alternative Competition points - sharp penny

Note to RCers: delete this now if you have no interest in
Paints in endurance. I was going to just send this to
Lysane but then thought you never know who is on this list
that can help or have some good suggestions. Plus if we get
APHA members from every region contacting their directors
and APHA all the better!!!

You go girl!!! <VBG>

 We sure need more APHA members like you! Please let me
know if there is anything I can do to help. I have trained
and shown Paints for years, having made several APHA
champions, honor roll horses and one year trained the
champion green working hunter horse in APHA that my
daughter showed. I got tired of the money it took to show
and the politics and "found" CTR and then drifted into
endurance. I do still have my finger in the paint horse
pot, but all the influencial paint horse people in my area
have pretty much turned a deaf ear. Buying and competeing
on an Arab hasn't helped my cause in their eyes; so I can't
say as I blame them. I would love to get a paint for this
venue but with little support from APHA and it being hard
finding one that can do well against the Arabs who have
been bred expressly for endurance, I kinda gave it all up.
It dosn't take much to get me on the band wagon again...lol
I did keep my best paint mare to breed, though. :) Just
can't get out of paints completely.
 Do you know who the directors in your region for APHA
are? This would be a good starting point for someone to
contact both by letter and in person. If you don't know who
these people are let me know what state you live in and
I'll send you their names, addresses and phone numbers. I
would also send a letter to be put in the "From our
Readers" column in the PHJ. You can email the letter to
dstreeter@xxxxxxxx make sure you include your correct email
addy, physical address and a day time phone number where
you can be contacted. Believe me they check to see if you
are a current member and for how long.
There is an endurance rider on the staff of PHJ,(paint
horse journal) Jennifer Fletcher, so she would be a great
help for the cause. I had the opportunity to talk with her
at a recent Clinton Anderson clinic we were both riding in.
She has a mustang but, like us, would love to find a paint
horse she could compete seriously in endurance on. She told
me that she has competed in endurance for 15 years and has
completed Tevis several times. She is a real "go getter"
and I feel would be a good bridge between endurance riders
on registered paints and APHA.
 I would think a list of registered paint horses
competeing in endurance would be helpful. Let them know
what some paint members are trying to do, urge those that
aren't current APHA members to join and help support our
cause. We need their voices to be heard. I have tried to
get Howard involed;with top tenning on a registered paint
and his unique writing style, he would get noticed! But
unfortunatly he is not an APHA member and really wasn't
interested in becoming one. Maybe now that Erica is
competing on the mare she can sway Howard! <grin>  I don't
know where we could get such a list, maybe Jennifer would
have some ideas. Or maybe someone on ridecamp could point
us in the right direction. The more endurance riding
members we can rally, the more APHA will be inclined to
listen and not blow us off as just a handful of "radical
long distance riders"
 Again let me know what I can do to help you!

Regards,
Penny

--- Lysane  wrote:
I am a current
member. Might as well start my new membership off with
a bang :)  Maybe my one voice won't do much but maybe
I can keep pestering them with letters and I now that
a member can propose a rule change but I will have to
see how that works...I'm not sure.......