Re: [RC] Paint Alternative Competition points - Lysane Cree

Thank you for your response, Penny - you cleared up
the confusion I had about the PAC system with APHA.
Now I should be writing to APHA as I am a current
member. Might as well start my new membership off with
a bang :)  Maybe my one voice won't do much but maybe
I can keep pestering them with letters and I now that
a member can propose a rule change but I will have to
see how that works...I'm not sure.
I think I will also take a look at the AQHA and ApHA
systems to see how they function and I can have some
suggestions to make as to an "alternative" system for
ctr and endurance. Its great that APHA awards points
for just riding your horse and giving out prizes after
so many points earned, but come one, competitive trail
and endurance are a little tougher than plain old
trail riding! And it just doesn't fit well into the
normal "show" point system.
And after all, Paint owners who do ride ctr and
endurance won't bother to sign up for PAC and pay the
fee if they rarely ever get points or recognition. I
mean you are better off just relying on the
organization you are riding under in this case, and
getting placed into the "Other breeds" category. Maybe
APHA members are not showing interest in the system
because they recognize it won't really bring them any
advantage at this point, there are enough fees to pay
already. We always tend to feel like we must be the
only one riding a Paint (for distance competitions I
mean) so why bother trying to change the rules. It
won't have any effect.
Now that I understand the point system better, it
really needs to reflect the realities of the sport
(completions, best condition). Well, with that said, I
better copy this into a letter right now while I am on
my soapbox and send it to APHA. LOL

--- sharp penny <penelope_75647@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: >
APHA only has one catagory that covers both
Endurance and
CTR. It's very hard to amase points in PAC as they
give
points on placing with respect to the number in your
"class" or division. If you don't top ten in
endurance you
won't get any points. Very similar to how they give
points
to placing at a recognized paint show. They don't
give any
points for completion and no points are given for a
BC. You
will notice it is very seldom any one even qualifies
in the
Endurance/CTR division in PAC. To qualify you have
to have
a min. of 10 points (or thats what it was 2 years
ago,
haven't checked this years min)
  APHA really needs a different scoring system for
this
division. The problem is that not many registered
paint
horses are competeing and even fewer are top tenning
making
them even eligible for PAC points.(should they be
enrolled
in PAC) In the past the horses that made the honor
roll in
this division were CTR horses simply because more
are
entered in CTR's and it's easier to be in the top of
your
class thus easier to get points.
  I would really like to see APHA adopt a distance
program
similar to the ApHA or AQHA. Both of these
associations
track milage as well as placings and have awards
based on
completions, or number of miles.  APHA feels there
isn't
enough members who would be interested in this and
therefore don't feel there is a need. They currently
have a
program for the casual trail rider that logs hours
in the
saddle. APHA feels this covers the majority of
members that
do "distance" riding. If more APHA members with
registered
paint horses were interested in endurance then we
would
have a stronger voice in the association. It's hard
to get
heard when your not a current member. Howard, are
you
listening?? :)
 I'll get off my soap box now, says she who bought
an Arab
cause she couldn't find a paint that could "run with
the
big boys" and not take alot of work to stay in
condition.
 I would love to find a registered Paint that could
do
this, you can bet I would be a loud voice in APHA
and
bending a few ears!

Regards,
Penny
--- Lysane Cree <lysanec@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
HI,

Does anyone ride a registered Paint Horse in
competitive trail and/or endurance and has signed
up
with the American Paint Horse Association's "Paint
Alternative Competition" program???
How are they awarding points for these
"non-traditional" types of competitions
(non-traditional for APHA I guess)? I mean top 10
in
endurance is always looked upon as great, but in
show
situations, top ten doesn't necessarily get a
ribbon.
And what about completions??
Lysane

http://taxes.yahoo.com/