[RC] Possible confidence game, an email and telephone call I recieved. - Ed and Wendy Hauser

This evening while I was feeding my horses, I got an IP link call.  An IP
link is used by deaf persons to call on normal phone lines.  The person
types into a TDD and another person at a service reads things to the hearing
party.

The call went something like this:

"What is the price and health of the horse you have advertised?  Have you
received my email? "

(my answers will be in CAPS, my thoughts in parenthesis) )

I HAVE NOT CHECKED MY EMAIL THIS AFTERNOON.  THE PRICE IS $3000 AND HE WILL
PASS ANY VET EXAM.

(At this time my alert level went to dull orange-- it is a bit soon to be
talking price and why not wait for my email reply?)
"Would an international bank draft be acceptable"

YES
(orange alert, possible con game)

"Could you do me a favor?"

POSSIBLY

(bright orange alert, probable con game)

follows a long message about needing to pay an agent.  "I would send you a
draft for $8234.56 (an odd amount  I don't remember exactly)  You can then
sent the excess to my agent"

(Red alert, this is a pigeon drop)

I WILL ONLY ACCEPT CERTIFIED FUNDS FOR THE EXACT AMOUNT OF THE PURCHASE.
YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY ANY AGENTS SEPARATELY

Then follows a long message talking about 60 day delays to get money to
Africa....

I GUESS WE CAN NOT DO BUSINESS.  GOOD BY.

When I got in from the barn, I found the email quoted below:

" I am robert located on scotland i deal in buying and selling of pets i
also buy used and new cars i saw ur classified horse for sale(Nine year old
Anglo Arab gelding )which cost$3000  first let me ask you what is the
present condition of the pet have you given her the best vec test coggin
test and all the necessary test and let me know the pidegree cos i want the
best for my client that is buying this pet you know they are like kid to me
As for payment the method of payment will be by a certifiedcashiers chequo
payable in the united state and drawn on an americanbank SO i will like you
to send ur name and address includingyour phone# in which you can receive th
e check.let me know the bestprice of the pet so that i can arrange for the
paymentGET BACK ASAP
REGARDS
ROBERT."

I will save the header info for a few days.  The return address is a free
email at zwallet.com.
The text of the email surely does not appear to be typed by a Scotish
business man either.

This appears to be an new variation on an old con game.  I have BCC'd a few
of my horsey friends also on this.

Ed

PS.  In addition to the con I wouldn't sell Mav to someone I could not check
out.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th Street
Hudson, WI 54016