Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.0161 - Alice Yovich

I too have felt this dismay many times seeing certain horses that you knew were suffering beyond belief. In some cases, the owners knew their horses well enough to know that they needed to stick around, other times, I"ve been amazed at the stupidity of that horse owner.   Speaking of the bullet in the brain option. I used to care for some race horses in KY and my husband went to feed for me one night to find that a promising filly was hobbling around on 3 legs, one irrevocably shattered. We couldn't put a bullet in her brain b/c of insurance and that poor little filly was made to be in pain that much longer while the vet was cold and final drugs administered.  She'd probably been hurt since just after I'd fed that am b/c her mother's bag was totally swollen where the mother wouldn't let her near after whatever happened had occurred. We never did figure out how she'd been hurt.