Re: [RC] [Guest] response to "taking care of horses when they pass" - Heidi Smith

Nor do I think it reprehensible to
"put a bullet in their head and drag them out to the back field".  A
bullet
is an acceptable kill method if done correctly and nature doesn't mind
taking care of the corpse (the foxes and vultures will thank you).  Nor
does the horse care.  IT WOULDN'T BE FEASIBLE in my area to do that (and
yes within the past few years I was faced with it - a lightening strike to
a promising filly I was very attached to).  But there is absolutely
nothing
inherently wrong in it.

Thank you, Elaine.  Where I live, not only is the "bullet in the brain"
option feasible, but it is the method preferred by many local veterinarians.
They will NOT administer the traditional barbiturate euthanasia solutions
unless you have a pit already dug and a backhoe standing by, because of the
possibility of a federally-protected wolf eating the carcass and dying, and
then having the death pinned on the veterinarian who administered the drugs.
Personally, I also happen to be fond of the bald eagles and golden eagles
who frequent our area (likewise also protected species)--the goldens in
particular are scavengers and feed off of dead carcasses, and birds are
extremely sensitive to barbiturates.  (Never mind the crows, buzzards,
magpies, etc. that also feed off of carcasses....)

Given a frost level in our ground in winter of at least 2-3 feet (can be
more) and snow on top of that, it is virtually impossible to dig a
horse-sized hole with a backhoe this time of year here.  And since using
alternative means of chemical euthanasia that are compatible with the
environment can also be a sensitive issue (although such alternatives are
the norm in many food animal practices where proximity also makes a bullet
in the brain a dangerous solution), a bullet in the brain may well be the
only way one CAN end a horse's suffering in many circumstances, thanks to
politics.

Ironically, it is often the same well-intentioned but misguided people who
espouse the federal protection of animals such as wolves (not native to our
area in the first place, never mind that they are devastating big game
species) and who also express shock if you end an animal's suffering with
anything short of barbiturate euthanasia.  Unfortunately, some of their
political agendas, such as these two issues, are incompatible with each
other in real life.

Heidi