[RC] [Guest] response to "taking care of horses when they pass" - Ridecamp Moderator

Elaine Parker elainep@xxxxxxx

I gave this response serious thought as to whether or not I wanted to expose my views to public opinion. To some extent, at least as far as providing care for a horse I own, I agree with Ms. Golden. As long as I own a horse I feel responsible for the provision of it's needs. I am not, however, in love with a horse. any horse. I enjoy them, I enjoy caring for them, working them and just watching them as they interact with each other. I do not consider them a love object. Nor do I consider it a responsible attitude to put the maintenance of a marginal animal above the reality of providing a decent lifestyle for myself and family. In my opinion, it's a perfectly responsible decision to sell horses that are in good enough condition to find buyers who can use and care for them, and put down those who couldn't should my financial circumstances change to the point that I can no longer afford them. Nor do I think it reprehensible to "put a bullet in their head and drag them out to the back field". A bullet is an acceptable kill method if done correctly and nature doesn't mind taking care of the corpse (the foxes and vultures will thank you). Nor does the horse care. IT WOULDN'T BE FEASIBLE in my area to do that (and yes within the past few years I was faced with it - a lightening strike to a promising filly I was very attached to). But there is absolutely nothing inherently wrong in it. I am attracted to endurance because I really enjoy nothing better than seeing well cared for horses that are well used. I don't feel guilty because I recognize that they ARE animals.

I know that public attitudes have swung to the point where to be acceptable you're supposed to iterate how much you LOVE your horse. I come from a poor dirt-farm background. We needed our animals and respected them for what their purpose was, whether work or food. I don't think that's a bad attitude.

Now I'm going to put on a flame suit, cause I'm sure I've managed to express this in such a way that someone (or many someones) are going to be incensed. That is not my intention. I just really have to point out the foolishness (TO ME!) of being willing to beggar yourself to provide an animal with luxury and the lack of tolerance inherent in despising people who don't have that attitude.

I'm going back to lurkdom. Probably permanently.

Elaine Parker
AERC - M19651