[RC] Taking Care of Horses When They "Pass" - Mary Golden

Yes, I'm still behind on posts, but slowly creeping along.

I find it interesting how the topic has turned from Preventing Treatment to What To Do When Poor Dobbin Passes On (either at a ride, or just at home).  I think this is *such* an important topic and one that isn't discussed much.  And I truly think it ties in with horse management and how competent of a horse owner you are.

From my standpoint (and for 99% of us here, I'm sure), if I take on the responsibility to own horses (and I have 5), it is *my* responsibility to do whatever it takes to be sure those horses are properly cared for, whether it be in life or death.  I don't care if I'm eating Ramen noodles or cheap pasta for months on end -- it is *my* responsibility.  And if I can't properly care for my horses, I don't deserve to have them -- I deserve to have them taken from me.  When it comes time for my horse to go -- whether it is naturally or has to be put down ---- that horse will be handled with respect, no matter what the terms.

This is a rather sore subject for me, as there was a gal down the road from me is a "horse collector" --- 6 or 7 elderly horses that don't get proper routine medical treatment or care because she says she doesn't have the money.  She took in one over the winter and when it became sick (well, I think it had EPM) she never bothered to call the vet.  she never even told me (hell *I* would have paid the bill!!!).  Instead of letting the horse go with dignity and respect, she put a bullet in its head when it could get to its feet, and then dragged it out of the barn and dumped it in a back field.  No one knows why the horse died.  It still sickens me and I have pretty much distanced myself from her.  My whole life has been spent devoted to caring for my horses and learning about them.  I pride myself in their care.  I just cannot associate myself with people like that, for fear that other will look at me in the same light.

Mary Golden
Northern New York