[RC] fragile bones - Roberta Jo Lieberman

DLyons wrote:

After fracturing my back in a hard horseback riding fall last year I decided
to get a bone density test just to see what "baseline" is. I only have two
risk factors for osteoporosis out of about 12,  being caucasion and light
boned, so wasn't overly worried about it. The results came back "borderline"
and very close to the range that is defined by osteoporosis. I was pretty
shocked since I would have never guessed that I had this problem. After
struggling for 6 months to ride again from the back injury I'm wondering if
it's worth the possible fractures a fall would bring. I know there are lots
of postmenapausal women out there endurance riding. Anyone else have to face
this issue?<

Last year, I had the opportunity to work with Gill Sanson, author of the book,
The Osteoporosis ?Epidemic?: Well Women and the Marketing of Fear.

Her conclusion:

Osteoporosis as defined by fragility fractures is uncommon, even rare, in women
under 80 years, and the vast majority of the population never fracture as a
result of low bone density. Fractures are likely to occur in the presence of
other factors involving illness and frailty such as immobility, dementia,
medications (such as corticosteroids), thyroid conditions and hazardous home
environments.

She presents persuasive evidence (with plenty of references) that the entire
osteoporosis industry has been "manufactured" by the drug industry to frighten
women into buying HRT (now discredited) and drugs such as Fosamax. She wrote:

"The bisphosphonate drug Fosamax (alendronate) is now unchallenged as the ?gold
standard? treatment for osteoporosis.  Phenomenal sales of Fosamax recorded by
Merck pharmaceuticals in recent years stand to increase exponentially with the
demise of HRT. However, claims that Fosamax significantly reduces fracture rates
in women with low bone density are simply not true,  and concerns are now raised
that using the drug for more than five years may produce an older skeleton with
more crystalized bone which fractures more easily."

This subject became of intense personal interest to me when on New Year's Day I
fractured my left distal radius (arm) bone (falling on rock-hard ground with
extreme force--no, I didn't fall off my pony!) and also decided to have my first
DEXA scan. They gravely informed me that I had osteopenia.....and in view of my
"risk factors" better consider Fosamax, etc. I said "No thanks". I upgraded my
vitamin program and had the cast off at four weeks -- amazing the doc that a
54-year-old "high-risk" osteoporosis candidate could heal so fast. Every time I
came in with fresh x rays, he'd look at them incredulously and say "WHEN did you
break it?"

According to Gill, regular exercise and a nutrient-rich diet are the most
effective strategies to avoid osteoporosis.  The force of muscles pulling
against bone stimulates bone remodeling and bone formation.

Calcium is also a bit of a myth. Instead, a diet covering the diverse
nutritional needs of bone including calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, vitamin K,
boron, manganese, zinc, copper, silicon and other essential nutrients is more
appropriate than supplementing with large amounts of calcium.

Endurance riders -- heck, horsefolk in general -- prolly have some of the "best
bones" out there. I know -- sports like riding and cycling aren't considered
"weight-bearing" -- but as Matthew Mackay-Smith used to say, "There's nothing
like looking after livestock to keep you healthy and strong."

Sorry to drone on about this. If anyone would like a complete copy of Gill's
article, please email me privately.

Regards,
Bobbie & Perle
in rainy San Diego County