[RC] sunburned horse - Dot Wiggins

I've had 2 over the years.    First one came to us with scabby white face and 4 stockings.   She quit weeping and didn't get worse, but never lost all the scars.
We were told it was "clover poisoning" and since we had dryland pasture there was no clover.

Other horse, many years later, would weep, itch, rub, and get scabby all over. (light palomino).  By that time folks had heard of photosensitivity, caused by the combination of certain kinds of plants and sunlight.   We were unable to figure out what plants in the pasture caused it.
This was my daughters "special" horse so it was important he always looked nice.

Solved the problem by keeping him inside, out of the sun, in the summer daytimes, outside in the pasture at night.  Early spring, late summer after lots of plants were growing, and winter he could be out all the time.  Worked for a number of years.  Moved to a different area, still had some green pasture but he didn't have any problems there.

No other horses we had, many related, ever did this, just his allergy I guess.

Have been told that the photosensetivity and also cause liver failure in some horses.   Anybody know?