Re: [RC] Olympics and Security - Kristene Smuts

Where have you been:-). >>

Riding! ;-))

The marathon is run in 2 hours - not 5 hours.>>

OK, so Olympic sports aren't my strongest point (ahem), but I was thinking of
things like the ultra marathons, like the London and New York(??) marathons and
our Comrades which is about 90 kms.  Pre-dawn start and televised on national
TV throughout the day - now THAT is watching paint dry!  I normally switch on
at around the 5 hour point to see who won and then again at the cut-off of 12
hours - my sick sense of curiosity to watch those who get carried over the line.

Anyway, your point of << Ninity nine percent of the spectators for the marathon
are sitting right there in the track stadium. They see the first mile and the
last half mile - none inbetween.>>  Why not translate that to endurance?  While
the other events are going on, get the endurance horses to start and do a lap
or two around the arena, then head out and have the last lap or two around the
arena again?  Our nationals in July does more or less that - the start and
finish is around a rugby field - start and do half around the field and head
out and then when they come in, the people on the stands can see the horses
coming in and then do a half an arena before coming over the finish line.  The
timekeepers can also see the horses coming in and will play "Chariots of Fire"
for each and everyone.  It makes for lump in the throat stuff when you see a
rider who is totally finished and the crowd egging them on - sometimes a rider
will be on foot but the crowd will urge him to get on again to finish mounted.
Or two total strangers - before the ride - would come in holding hands and
crossing the line at the same time.

The organisers of one or two 100 milers have even attempted to put the
positions of the riders at different points on the route, up on a black board -
it generated a lot of interest, just that little bit of info about the riders
(I'm sure a bit of side-betting between grooms was done)

I'm sure if people just put their minds to it, it CAN become a spectator sport,
without having to have a body count to attract those who love that kind of
thing.

Also, I'm neither for nor against endurance becoming an Olympic sport, if
that's where it's headed, so be it.  As long as it is done for the right
reasons.

Kristene