Re: [RC] Preventing Treatment - Next Steps - Stagg_Newman

Sue,

Great idea!  Will catalog all ideas and we can discuss in Chattanooga.

You now have me really thinking.  We have a 17 year old endurance horse,
Smoke Rise Strut,
that has a wierd skin condition (looks like what one would get with
sarcodosis
but thus far no indication of internal organ damange).  It seems to be an
auto-immune
response to his own skin.  Has been going on for several years now
and progressing.  This week we are taking him to U. of Ga. to see Dr. Susan
White
for the 3rd time.  She will do a "head to tail" scan, etc. to see what we
can learn.

In his career he did about 15 1-day 100s, almost all top ten with a couple
of wins
and lots of top 5.  He was however prone to deyhydration and the thumps.
Wonder now if any cause and effect.

We certainly need to learn more about what we are doing to these horses.

Another interesting observation.  After the world championships in France
we observed the French team had all of their horses on IV fluids to
rehydrate them before shipping.  (This was legal as is was more that
that the required time for no treatment after the ride).  Probably smart
prevention
particularly before flying home.

Stagg Newman
Senior Practice Expert
America's Telecom Practice
McKinsey and Company
1-828-232-1314

                    "Susan

                    Garlinghouse"            To:     <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<Stagg_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    <suendavid@worldn        cc:

                    et.att.net>              Subject:     Re: [RC]
Preventing Treatment - Next Steps
                    02/23/2003 09:22

                    PM

2.  There were some great suggestions on data that could be collected and
the data.  Would anybody be willing to take the first cut at compiling a
list of suggested studies?  Sue or Heidi?  Others?

This would be my Big Numero Uno suggested study:

1.  Identifying the long term effects of repeated bouts of dehydration.  We
already know with peer-reviewed data that the average endurance horse
finishes a ride around 5% dehydrated (and some up to 12%), and that
cellular
function begins to be adversely affected around 3-4%.  Assuming no major
metabolic breakdowns, the target organ most likely to suffer permanent
damge
is the kidney.  There are some blood parameters that are indicative of
kidney damage, but mostly just indicate some current level of dehydration,
or severe kidney disease---not early damage.  The best ways to measure true
kidney function are either by serial urine samples throughout the ride,
along with blood samples; or injecting a harmless substance into the body
and measuring over the next hour or two how fast the kidneys are able to
filter it out.  (Or you can do a kidney biopsy, but that's really high risk
and not worth even considering).

The former protocol of collecting urine is pretty easy, but involves A LOT
of rider cooperation, since horses don't always conveniently pee in a vet
check while a volunteer is waiting there.  So there's the rub---this is
incredibly valuable data, but what would it take for an endurance rider to
agree to do whatever it takes to collect several urine samples throughout a
ride?  Money?  A ride made up only of research participants as is the
Middleburg Research Ride (this would be my guess)?  Whatever it takes, IMO,
this
Susan G

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.