Re: [RC] another red herring - Joan Ruprecht

Thank you Jeanie, well said, and for my thinking very true.

Joan
Subject: [RC] another red herring

I have always believed that almost all of us ride good horses.  Some horses
are outstanding individuals but that is not the norm.  As for an endurance
race, no matter where it is, no matter what the terrain is, no matter what
the weather is, is after all just a race.  Just a race for that given day,
for that given rider, for that given horse, for that given trail.  The one
who wins does so for that race on that day.  Nothing more, nothing less.
It
really does not mean that for that day, that horse and rider are winners
for
all times.  It just aint true.  It is only true for that day for that trail
with whatever conditions.  Just because one didn't go to international
races, or the AERC championships does not mean that one is not riding the
best horse.  We all have 'best' horses.  Alot of luck, savvy, etc is what
makes the winner for that day and that race. The true champion is not a
flash in the dark.  It is the horse and rider team who compete for years
and
years, who might consistently place well, but most certainly is the one who
consistently finishs with the ability to go on.  This is the essense of
endurance or competitive.  The horse and rider team who compete on
different
trails in different conditions and weather, and still finish with a sound
horse.  Above all it must be FUN.  If it aint fun, why do it?  Jeanie