Re: [RC] Angie's Option on Continuing w/ Dr. Kerry Ridgeway Variation - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Another variation on the theme was seen at one of our lower distance rides, when Jim Bryant stopped his jeep next to an obviously tired horse, removed the saddle, tossed it into the jeep and handed the reins to the rider to walk the horse in.....a good 3 km in sand. I got ticked off at a horse owner once who insisted that her horse go out again when the mare was obviously exhausted, but the vets hadn't knocked her off yet. I drove the owner out to the water check about 8 km in the desert and when she said that she thought the mare could make it back, I dumped her out there....high heels and all....to walk back, since "it really wasn't that far". I caught some flack on that from the federation because I wasn't a steward. I told the fed official that she should know better than to try the patience of a horse person.

Maryanne Gabbani