Re: [RC] Boy have we come a long way - Heidi Smith

>One type of feeding program was described as "one small flake of oat hay and one of alfalfa morning and night." One part rolled oats, half part rolled corn and rolled barely and one quarter part soybean meal. While traveling or competing the feeding program changes to just oat hay. The night before a ride 3 flakes, but none the morning of the ride as the rider doesn't want the horse running on a full stomach. However, the horse get 2 pounds of grain in the am, 2 at lunch and 2 in the evening.

How much things change, and yet how much they remain the same.  Even "back then" these riders had figured out that you COULD feed more grain on race day, if you fed it in small increments--something Susan has been telling us repeatedly the past few years.  And if you don't have grass hay, oat hay remains a reasonable complement to alfalfa, as they tend to offset the overages and deficiencies in each other--maybe not ideal, but likely the best they could do with what they had available.  We HAVE learned a lot more about keeping a good roughage fill.

>Another feeding program was top quality alfalfa hay fed free choice at all times during the working months with grain being stared only in early summer. The horse on this particular feeding schedule won the Tevis 4 years in a row. He won 8-100 mile rides and finished Top 10 in 17. Interesting.

And many horses still eat only alfalfa hay, because the riders have access to nothing else.  Interesting to look again at the breeding of these horses--all old-style breeding--that tended to have the metabolic capability to deal with feeding progams that were less than ideal.  And that is something else that hasn't changed--the horses bred like that often still have that ability, even though we prefer not to make them push the envelope that way.  I do find it interesting that "back then" riders had already figured out that the forage was the base of the ration and that one didn't add grain until the work load became excessive.

>All three horses were 14.3 or smaller. One training schedule was described as starting in early spring, covering 10, then 15 and 20 miles EVERY OTHER DAY! The rider said it was important that this portion of training be strictly adhered to as the horse and rider are conditioning each other. Wow!

Nothing has changed about that--most of the top horses are still 14.3 or smaller, and we've figured out the science behind why horses do better if conditioned only every other day, instead of daily--has to do with recovery time of tissues.  We've found out that some rides can be shorter, but that sort of training program really isn't all that different to many good training programs today.

>One rider said the key to her success was to losing 35 pounds and switching to a lighter english saddle. ( A lot of pictures show riders in big western saddles and western gear) This horse was the 1974 Presidents cup winner. He was ridden over 1,000 mile that year and never lost a shoe,  was sick or lame.

And how many seminars do we see now on rider fitness?  Another thing that has remained the same....

What I find interesting is the fact that many of these riders were already discovering so many of the things that we seem to think we just found out.  :-)

Heidi