From: oddfarm
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 6:27 AM
Subject: [RC] Boy have we come a long way

I purchased a May of 1975 Arabian Horse News from e-bay (looove that site!) because it featured endurance riding. Haven't read it all yet but one article titled "Stories of Champions" is very interesting. They feature Storm of Tara, owned by Tom and Diana Gaither, Witezarif, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Pat Fitzgerald and Kandar, owned by Ruth Waltenspiel. These were all top endurance horses at that time.

One type of feeding program was described as "one small flake of oat hay and one of alfalfa morning and night." One part rolled oats, half part rolled corn and rolled barely and one quarter part soybean meal. While traveling or competing the feeding program changes to just oat hay. The night before a ride 3 flakes, but none the morning of the ride as the rider doesn't want the horse running on a full stomach. However, the horse get 2 pounds of grain in the am, 2 at lunch and 2 in the evening.

Another feeding program was top quality alfalfa hay fed free choice at all times during the working months with grain being stared only in early summer. The horse on this particular feeding schedule won the Tevis 4 years in a row. He won 8-100 mile rides and finished Top 10 in 17. Interesting.

All three horses were 14.3 or smaller. One training schedule was described as starting in early spring, covering 10, then 15 and 20 miles EVERY OTHER DAY! The rider said it was important that this portion of training be strictly adhered to as the horse and rider are conditioning each other. Wow!

One rider said the key to her success was to losing 35 pounds and switching to a lighter english saddle. ( A lot of pictures show riders in big western saddles and western gear) This horse was the 1974 Presidents cup winner. He was ridden over 1,000 mile that year and never lost a shoe,  was sick or lame.

I will be reading The Tevis Cup article and the 300 Mile Enduraner Ride of 1919 next.

One page advertisment listed Al Nimr for sale for $40,000 and a breeding to Phazon (Ferzon X Phleta) for $1000.

Lisa Salas, The Odd faRm
I love this stuff!