[RC] Toys, Ideas, Looking for, and questions.. Long! - Stefffi_c

New Toys, Frugal Ideas, and Things I'm Looking For  --

I recently found a few gadgets at the Lowe's and Home
Depot I thought ou guys might be interested in --

1) I found a headlamp at Lowe's this past week; it's
got three settings, Red LED, White LED, and long range
spotlight. It's weatherproof and lightweight. It has
the strap to make it a headlamp included with it, and
the base has three hooks to hook the straps to. They
will accept a 1" strap, and are not "closed" loops,
but look secure enough to hook onto the middle strap
of my breastcollar. It will supposedly run 200 hours
on LED lights with 3 AAA batteries. It was only 14.95.
I don't know how many of y'all have looked at LED
flashights, but at http://www.sportsmansguide.com (my
favorite site for outdoorsy stuff) they run around
$30.00. I had decided I'd rather be in the dark after
much trial and error with regular flashlights. I
haven't had a chance to try this thing out yet, but if
LEDs work for us it looks pretty neat!

2) For those of y'all that like rope tack, the Home
Depot here in town recently started carrying "Yacht
Rope" in 100' skeins. It's very soft, and gets softer
with more use. The 100' of rope is $9.99 here and I
made 2 lungle lines and 4 sets of 10' reins for around
24.00. There are two brands they carry; one is a very
soft poly blend, but it seems to get very slick. The
other one is a little rougher feeling, but it softens
considerably with usage. I rode for about 1:30 hours
last weekend gloveless with these reins and they were
wonderful on my hands. I've ridden with them with
gloves on and couldn't get quite as good of a grip,
but they were still acceptable.

Frugal Ideas --

3) I don't know how many of y'all keep your horses
mane's braided. I keep Star's done in 1/4" braids from
Mid March until it starts cooling off. That way when
we ride I can quickly french braid all her little
braids together and she seems to stay cooler, that
small of braids I think she still gets fly protection
from her mane. I tried all the braid sprays sold in
horse catalogs, and they do make a differnce in how
long the braids will stay, and the super conditioning
ones lessened hair breakage. But, I'm rather cheap, so
I tried the Dollar General's "Afrikan Braid Spray",
and it works even better. It has a wondeful natural
scent, has no perfumes, dyes, or anything and it's
$1.00 per 8 ounce bottle. Braiding without putting
some kind of conditioner will severly damage hair, my
hair is about 6" below my waist and if I don't
condition my hair first then I end up with little
broken hairs. Another note on braiding, I try to never
use rubberbands, instead I use crochet cotton. Take a
piece about 24 - 36" inches long, loop it behind the
braid when you are about 3" from the bottom, braid it
in with the braid until you get to the bottom, then
tie it tightly, loop it and tie it again. I rebraid
Star's about every 3 - 4 weeks and have only lost one
braid from her getting it caught on a tree! Crochet
cotton is around 2.00 @ walmart and I used about 1/4
of a roll last year.

Things I'm Looking For --

4) I'm looking for a crochet pattern for an ear net
and for an Irish Knit Sheet. I've been looking for a
year or so now, and if anyone out there has made one
if you can also let me know what kind of yarn/twine
you used I'd appreciate it!

5) I'm also looking for a pattern for saddlebags for
an english saddle. Something along the lines of a
sportpack, but without the pocket that goes over the
seat.

Joint Supplements --

Here recently a good friend of mine and her husband
purchased 2 young Friesans with joint problems. He is
a homeopath/natropath and nutritionist. Both of their
horses are on joint supplements, and I gleaned some
things from him. I've never heard a supplement called
S.O.D. discussed here and have only seen one joint
supplement with it in it (KV Vet carries it) it's
supposed to work as well or better than HA. His dad is
a hollistic vet and swears by this stuff. I've yet to
try it, and wondered if any of y'all had. Also, they
started using Corta-Flex, but noticed that it has HCI
in it. HCI is a digestive enzyme that is also an
anti-inflamatory, works great with "Non-Arthiritis"
inflamation. The flip side to that is it causes
stomach upset and ulcers in sensitive individuals. I
can tell y'all, from my experience, that if you have
ulcers HCI will cause a minor pain to become severe
pain. In my experiences with HCI, both as an
anti-inflamitory and for digestion, have been
positive, until I had ulcers. I'm not sure how much
the effects would cross over to our horses, but the
major side effects for me were constant hunger, more
inflamation coming off of it than I'd ever had (I
couldn't hardly walk), and upset stomach.

Rider Health --

I've debated in posting this here, but finally decided
to. I've been ill for going on four month and there's
no end in sight. My family doctor is now looking
towards auto immune diseases, but due to my problems
I've been unable to ride more than a handful of time.
I walked back one time, but I've got a super horse who
takes good care of me or I couldn't ride at all. Not
only do I have the physical aspect, but I'm getting
very depressed because I can't even do little things.
I feel like it's unfair to my horse just to be a
pasture ornament, and I really want to pursue
endurance. I just purchased a used Wintec, mainly
because of weight and ease of care, but with my health
as it is endurance is sadly out of the question. Heck,
even pleasure ride is out of the question. I'm looking
for others with chronic problems, especially pain
issues. My biggest problems with riding is joint pain;
I struggle with exhaustion and weekness, what
products/exercises have worked for y'all out there?
Right now we're looking mostly at Lupus, but they're
doing more bloodwork next week.

Stephanie