Re: [RC] The ultimate - Howard Bramhall

There in lies the dilemma.  We do want American endurance riders to
represent us overseas, but we want it to be a real endurance ride, not some
fantasy out there in the desert where the rules are similar to that of
thoroughbred track racing, including the gambling.

Speaking of gambling, I wonder what the odds are of Steve Rojak winning this
ride?  My guess is they are quite high, because Mr. Rojak (and, I do believe
every one of the other American riders), takes superb care of his horse and
would not risk the health of his mount for all the tea in China (or, all the
dates in Arabia).  Plus, it helps, that I don't think he's taken in by all
the money; he seems to have some already.

It's just a darn shame we can't get an American FEI endurance representative
to speak out and say, "Look, Your Majesty, some of the changes you've made
to the sport of endurance are quite wrong.  And, here's a list of things
we'd like to discuss today that fall into that category..."  Yea, off with
the Infidel's head if that were to happen.

We need to have more influence, or, if, it remains the rules are controlled
by the Shieks, and the Sheiks alone, than our representative says, "Adios,
Your Sheikdom."   Keep in mind I still dream of a fantasy world where I see
equal and just representation for all.

I'm sorry, but until FEI (endurance) gets their act together, I say we vote
with our hooves and run away from all of it. The very first thing they need
to do is to give total control of the vet checks to the vets and get rid of
that way too powerful organizational committee controlling everything with
the goals of Olympic Gold Medals dancing in their heads.  Do that and, do
that now, and, maybe, we'll talk.  Keep in mind this is just me talking, my
silly opinions.  And, yea, I'll shut up now.

But, one more thing.  It all ties in to the dead horses at endurance rides.
What happens at their rides (FEI) affect us much more than what we do in the
States affects them, especially when it comes to the stigma of horses dying
at a ride.  They got the worldwide attention they wanted, they put it on TV,
newspaper people were everywhere, and, because they did not listen to their
vets, two horses died from exhausted horse syndrome.  This happened
because ..  Fill in the blanks and see what you come up with.

This is why we need to get this part of our sport (horses dying) out there,
no matter how infrequently it does happen, for the rest of the world to see,
because, like it or not, FEI has brought the world to our door.  Forget the
necropsy for now, trying to do that initially will kill this thing before it
even gets off the ground, because of the lawyers.  Let's just get some sort
of action and information about this out there now.  Overall, considering
how infrequently it does happen and how often those are accidental, it will
show the world that endurance does not equal death for the horse.  NOt even
close, and, we must show the world that we are striving for zero deaths at
our endurance rides caused by horse exhaustion, just like we strive for zero
tolerance of drugs used on our equines!

cya,
Howard (meet me for a beer at Chattanooga to talk about it)