Re: Re: [RC] Deaths - the list - Heidi Smith

what about adding an autopsy to these deaths to rule out this type of
situation?

This should be a strong guideline, not a rule.  As was quoted from a member
of the veterinary committee, we can be on shaky legal ground to make it
mandatory, among other things.  That said--in my experience, most are
already being autopsied (and those findings sent in on the death reports),
and in some circumstances, autopsy is unnecessary ("Horse stepped off of a
trailer ramp and slipped, falling under ramp and fracturing hind cannon
bone.  Horse was subsequently euthanized."  That's a horse death, and I've
seen that one occur at a ride.  Do we REALLY need an autopsy??)

I'm enough like Susan and Barbara that when a death occurs on my watch, I
wanna know!  And yes, often a field autopsy is enough to tell the tale.  (To
whoever wondered if this is enough for an insurance company--yes, it is
often what they get in clinical practice anyway.  Especially out here in the
far-flung West, it is the exception rather than the rule to have bodies
hauled into facilities for extensive necropsy--simply too difficult to do.)
That said--I also trust the ride veterinarians in general to make wise
decisions as to what is necessary to discover facts, as well as to determine
if a particular circumstance is simply too complicated to get all of the
facts, due to terrain, location of body, etc.  No two cases are alike, and
the best people to decide what needs to be done in a given circumstance are
the ride vets, who are at the scene and know the circumstances.

Heidi