Re: [RC] Vetting/overriding - Heidi Smith

Wouldn't the Australian method of having all vet comments appearing in
your
horse logbook save many horses?. If the vet at the current ride can at a
glance see the previous ride speeds,distances, pulses and history of
treatment he would have much more ammunition to go on to pull a horse who
is
borderline? There was a horse being treated at our ride this weekend,
which
we discovered to our horror to have been similarly treated at a ride 2
weeks
prior. If the vet at the previous ride had put a comment in the book after
that treatment the vet at this ride could of maybe prevented that same
horse
from competing at all ,

I do like the log book idea, and I think it would be worth looking into.
I've also seen riders that can't seem to get it through their heads that a
compromised horse last week isn't "fine" next week just because he looks
good.  I've been fortunate in that the riders I've personally dealt with
like this have been pretty much competing within a local area, and in many
cases, I WAS the vet two weeks ago.  And following major sorts of
treatments, I'd like to see the horse have to have either a prescribed time
off (NOT a time determined by rules, as one can't legislate what is right
for all sorts of medical problems, but rather one determined by the ride
vets, with the possibility that it might be altered with subsequent
correspondence between ride vets and home vets) or at least a recommendation
of same noted in the log book for the next ride vet to see.  Also, some
details of treatment and reasons for treatment should be noted (as well as
reasons and details of pulls that are not treated) so that the next ride vet
can get a history "straight from the previous ride vets" so to speak.

Personally, I'd see this as a FAR more constructive adoption of Aussie
methodology than having a qualification system--the "qualification" becomes
being able to take care of your horse, regardless of your years of
experience or mileage (or lack of same).  And it is the end result that
counts.

Heidi