Re: [RC] Preventing Treated Horses - Heidi Smith

My guess is that the costs of doing these tests [pre-ride tests for
high-profile events]  would be small compared to
the
total costs of competing in these championship events.

Stagg

Susan and others have pretty much already answered this question, but yes,
you're right.  It's a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of getting
there, the entry fee, etc.  And if a dubious test result causes you not to
start your horse, look what it likely saved in treatment costs, even if the
rider DID have to pay for it!

Time and time again I've seen horses have problems pre-ride, and "appear" to
have those problems straightened out, only to pull at an early vet check.
The discussion of hydration has been worth note, but the issue that really
prompted me to suggest this is the horses that tie up pre-ride and then
appear to be fine, but--gee, surprise, surprise!--tie up "again" at the
first vet check!  Saw this happen at North Americans a few times and truly
could not understand why there wasn't a blood sample drawn and taken over to
the nearest vet lab, since there was plenty of time.  I did at least learn
something from those experiences--when I was team vet for the Danes at the
WEC in Kansas, we had our alternate horse tie up (VERY mildly, I might add)
right after arriving in Kansas, and prior to vetting in, I did have a blood
sample taken up to KSU to run.  We were standing in line to vet in when the
results came back--took one look and simply pulled the horse out of line and
sent him back to the barn.  Even though he looked like a million bucks by
that time, his CPK was way up and his AST was already up as well.  No point
wasting everyone's time and injuring him further.

Heidi