Re: [RC] Walking or trotting in in the Heat with a tired thirsty horse..? I say Trot!Here`s my story. - Katherine Young

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 2:58 AM
Subject: RE: Walking or trotting in the Heat , with a tired thirsty horse. I say Trot.
I got in to a situation , where my ride partner and I were up at Robinson Flat to do some conditioning in the canyons for the Tevis . We went on the Tevis Trail , about 5 or so miles and I had a fall with my horse so we went back to the trailer..total of 10 mile`s, minor scratches`s and my horse was fine.  I really did not want to ruin my partner`s ride .. So "I got tough "and we started down the other way, in to the canyon`s towards  the west.  We had ridden at least 12 miles? .. Let the horses drink....(no water to speek of in between.)and started back up.  The heat was amazingly intense and humid, we figured it had to be at least 105 +degree`s in the canyon`s that day?  .  My ride partner is a very experienced rider and has done, at that time, 11 Tevis`s.   So,I felt very safe and willing to let him set the pace...
The heat intensified....coming back up the canyon road and the heat was definitely taking its toll on both of our horses.  I wanted to walk!  My partner yelled to "Keep moving!" the worst thing you could do right then was slow down or stop!  I thought he was crazy !! and a little while later ...I slowed down to a walk anyway.. ?
Of course my horse had no intention of being left behind!! So, we were off to catch up, thankfully my horse was in top condition.  I was amazed how he rallied! I did not think he had it in him.?.  I was terrified  that we were going to die! or something worse out there??!! We had no choice but to go back up the Mountian..I do not think we would have made it at a walk! I honestly do not know what we would have done if we could not move forward ? I cringe at the thought!
 We had just finished a 5 day Ride, I thought that was the hardest thing I had ever done..too ..my....Horse!....But this was worse!!  On to the top at a trot! to ourTrailer..at Robinson Flat!  We made it!!!
What my  partner said was the.. well conditioned horse ..will have Large blood vessles that run along the surface of the muscels and the presperation and air flow will cool them off at a trot much more efficiantly and safer than at a walk.
The horses recovered remarkably well. They can do it! ...If ..the Key words is ....are they in good condition..?

Katherine Young