[RC] Need opinions - Marinera

My original question was hypothetical, but some of the responses have been
really educational.

I particularly refer to Susan Garlinghouse’s when she said
“........... you have some issues with blood circulation being shunted away
from the digestive tract (at the bottom of the circulatory pecking order).
All that blood shunting to muscles and skin surfaces means it's being shunted
away from the GI tract, and thus motility is compromised. “

I lost a horse after a ride (which I devote a chapter to in my book).  This
horse never stopped eating for the entire one hour hold. She left the noon
vet check with a full stomach and was asked to go another 25 miles. She
passed the midway short hold just fine.  She passed the finish line vet check
just fine. I think we were around 33rd place out of 65 horses. But she never
ate or drank another drop and was euthanized ten hours later because of a
ruptured stomach (not intestine) which I am told is fairly rare. I am also
told it can run in families and in her case, this was true.
I have always felt that if I had rationed her feed at the noon vet check,
this would not have happened and Susan’s post sheds some light on it.  In my
opinion, I compromised the digestive tract by shunting the blood to muscles
and skin surface by riding her with an overloaded stomach.  Since then, at an
hour hold, I would much rather see my horse eat for 20 to 30 minutes and then
nap.  I know this is not the conventional wisdom, but I throw it out there
because Ridecamp is at the moment focused on education and perhaps we can all
learn something.  Besides Susan,  I also pay particular attention to any
posts from Kat Swigart and others who seems to very experienced and
knowledgeable.  Julie