[RC] Need Opinions - k s swigart

I have always wondered whether it is better to walk or trot to the finish if:

 >1. It is a very hot day
 >2. You have 8 or 10 miles to go to the finish line
 >3. There is no water between where you are and the
finish.
 >4. You feel your horse is tired.
 >
 >Walking in taking two to three hours exposes the horse to
a longer period in
 >the heat without water than trotting in taking an hour
plus where shade and
 >water are available. One demands more energy for a short
period, the other
 >demands less energy for a longer period.
 >I am interested in the opinion of others.     Julie Suhr

And Joe Long answered:

 There is no set answer, there are other variables to consider, and in
 many cases you will want to walk some and trot some.  But overall, the
 more you can trot instead of walk, the better for both horse and
 rider.

And while I agree that there is no set answer as there are
other variables to consider and that in most cases you will
want to walk some and trot some; however, I don't agree that
the more you can trot instead of walk being better for the
horse.  It will, however, be better for the rider (or the
non-rider...more on that below).

The biggest reason being point #4: "you feel your horse is
tired."

Assuming that the horse is not on the verge of metabolic
crash (in which case, covering another 8-10 miles is not
good no matter what pace you choose or how long you are out
there), another 1-2 hours without water for a non-working
horse is not going to make a lot of difference, whereas
extra work for a tired horse is.  Not the least of reasons
being that extra work generates A LOT of extra heat and in
the scenario Julie describes, it is heat that is the enemy.

In normal conditions horses can walk along all day without
even breaking a sweat, where as trotting them under a load
can work even the most fit horses into a sweat in not very
much time at all.  As long as the horse's cooling mechanism
is working fairly well the extra heat generated can be
disipated to the environment without too much detriment to
the horse.

However, if "you feel your horse is tired" he is probably
tired for one of two reasons: a)  he lacks fuel (in which
case he won't be able to successfully fuel the extra work of
the trotting) or b) he is already overheating (in which case
he won't be able to cool off from the extra heated generated
by the extra work of the trotting).

If you feel yuor horse is really tired, the best thing for
the horse would be to get off and walk your horse the last
8-10 miles (especially since most people can walk just as
fast as most horses)...but this assumes that YOU have enough
water and fitness level to sustain the extra work you are
going to be doing, an 8-10 mile walk on foot on a very hot
day with no water is not something to be undertaken lightly.

However, if you really want to know the answer to Julie's
question, ask yourself this:

If you were 8-10 miles out on a hot day and already tired
which do you think would be a better choice for you.  To
walk in, stopping and resting every place you find a little
bit of shade or to jog the rest of the way hoping that you
make it before you drop dead from overheating and fatigue?

No Julie, if you feel your horse is tired, walking the rest
of the way is going to be much easier on the horse and much
less risky (not to mention the fact that trotting a horse
that is already tired is much more likely to lead to a
mechanical injury than walking it will).  The small amount
of time saved by trotting instead of walking is
inconsequential compared to the extra fuel required, the
extra heat generated, and the extra stresses placed on the
musculoskeltal system.

If it is a REALLY REALLY super hot day and/or your horse is
REALLY REALLY tired, the extra time away from shade and
water spent standing still doing nothing (and waiting for
the sun to go down and for things to cool off and/or for the
horse to rest, even if in the heat with no food and water)
is probably going to be a better option for the horse.  If
you can find a place somewhere to stand and rest in the
shade of some lone tree.

However, as Joe mentions, this depends upon other variables,
like IS there ANY shade to stand and rest in, in which case
trotting a bit from shade to shade and resting in it to let
the horse cool off may be right option, or WILL the
temperature cool off as the day progresses, and just how
tired is the horse anyway?

If the horse feels a little tired and there is 8-10 miles
with no water and no shade, your horse would be better off
just walking the rest of the way in.

kat
Orange County, Calif.