[RC] Digital cameras for endurance riders - some snowy riding photos to share - Flora Hillman

Thanks to all the people who wrote to me asking to see the photos I took this afternoon while riding out in (what will problem end up being) one of the biggest snowfalls to hit the Washington DC area in history. I finally uploaded the shots -- you can see them on http://aurigafarm.8m.com/photos/Feb2003/winterride.html   The photos are completely unretouched in any way, except for downsizing them to 25% of the original size in order to load quickly.

I put this digital camera to the extreme test under every conceivable condition on an 8 mile ride in the snow -- from shooting while subjected to violent motion from rapid trotting, low level light, extreme white background, etc, etc, etc -- and not only did it perform flawlessly, but the photos were excellent with resolution and clarity that my good (big and decidedly un-equestrian fitted) 35mm would be hard pressed to match under the same circumstances. All the controls on this digital are at the right hand thumb and finger spots -- the on/off switch is the only item on the left of the camera (on the side) to prevent accidental hits. One handed  I can take the camera out of my pocket (even wearing gloves), throw the simple, easy to flick "on" switch (which opens the lens door and advances the lens) with my thumb, then shift my hand (still holding the camera with just that hand) over to grip it where all the controls are, and take the shots.  It is very maneuverable in the palm, and your index finger and thumb operate everything. The shots are taken very fast, the moment you hit the shutter button.  (The record time can be a bit long for the 4 mg resolution shots -- quicker for the less resolution)   I usually pushed the camera switch to "off" with the thumb of my rein hand, but that is the only time I find it more expedient to use a second hand.

So... for all those riders who were wondering what would be a top digital camera to take endurance riding, I can highly recommend this one -- a Kodak DX4900.  Incidentally, the dimensions of the camera (W/H/D) are 4.6 x 2.6 x 1.7 inches.  Weight without batteries is 7.9 ozs. (Camera can take 2 AA sized Ni-MH rechargeable battery pack ( for in-camera charging); 2AA Lithium or Ni-MH batteries; or 1 CRV3 Lithium battery regular or rechargeable)

Easy to pack, carry, aim, shoot .... and the photos are brilliant under even the most trying conditions.