Re: [RC] Hoof Injury - Stefffi_c

Julia,

My horse sliced her heel about two inches deep on high
tensile electric fence; It couldn't be stitched up, so
I had to keep it wrapped. If you were close to me I'd
offer to come show you, it's an aquired art. LOL

My horse is thrush prone, if you're having wet weather
and keeping him wrapped he'll probably develop it.

So, I would wash Star's foot out very well every
evening and dry it with a towel; I'd then soak 1" x 4"
gause strips in Hoofmate (a natural thrush rememdy my
farrier recomended, won't dry leaving it on the hoof
all the time) and pushed those down in the crevice
next to the frog where thrush develops. The next layer
was a gause square soaked in betadine over the cut
area. This was recommended by my vet to keep it clean
if anything got in my wrap. I then put a full gauze
sqare over the heel and down into the foot. Covered
that with a plastic bag. Then wrapped it all with vet
wrap up to the fetlock and covered the hoof only with
duct tape. One note on using duct tape... It is *very*
slick for horses to walk on, so I was very careful and
kept Star in whenever the grass was wet because she
fell on it the first day. After a day or two I started
leaving a bell boot on her so my wrap would last 24
full hours. Left it on all the time, but did have to
buy 1 size larger than normal!

Hope This helps!

Stephanie

--- "J.Thom" <J.Thom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My almost 2 yr old gelding had to have a
large piece of his hoof removed at the heel,
exposing part of the coronary band.    It was
quite cold today but am not sure how he managed
to hurt himself.

My question is am I better to try and wrap the foot
or put a poultice boot on the foot?   I have to keep
the foot covered until the exposed has healed in
order
to avoid infection.    Also are there any long term
effects
from this type of injury?

Thanks Julia