[RC] Hoof Injury - J.Thom

My almost 2 yr old gelding had to have a
large piece of his hoof removed at the heel,
exposing part of the coronary band.    It was
quite cold today but am not sure how he managed
to hurt himself.

My question is am I better to try and wrap the foot
or put a poultice boot on the foot?   I have to keep
the foot covered until the exposed has healed in order
to avoid infection.    Also are there any long term effects
from this type of injury?

Thanks Julia