Re: [RC] AW: [RC] heat buildup was 'too slow can cause problems' (Jim) - Deb Blackburn

I had the great fortune to scribe for Dr. Ken both days at Big South Fork last year.  How he explained the "too slow" to me (who pestered him to death with questions) was that the only way the horse had to cool was sweat and evaporation.  In the muggy, humid SE if you are not moving (creating a breeze), the sweat is not evaporating and there is not much cooling going on.  That and the others already mentioned...rider fatigue and get the most out of the cooler morning hours.

On another note -- it was an incredible learning experience!  Never lost patience with my questioning and I had a running commentary on every horse through every vet check that he saw.  I would highly recommend volunteering to anyone who is trying to learn this sport.