RE: [RC] Preventing treatment - Bob Morris

Very good points Terre. But you are starting to sound like
me when it comes to data. It would be only as good as what
is reported. Considering the complaints from the past, about
it being to much of a burden on the Vets and ride Managers,
how would you propose to obtain the data in a worthwhile
way?

There is one other point to be made here. While I do deplore
any horse fatality there remains the fact we are working
with very small numbers. One must look at the return on
investment in this case. Is it practical to embrace a large
scale effort for minimal returns? We are all aware that no
matter the effort there will always be fatalities at
endurance rides. Not caused by any untoward practices but
just because living bodies die eventually.

Education is much cheaper in the long term and a much better
venue for what we want to accomplish. No matter the
cautions, mandatory or suggested, the factor of death is
always eminent. That is the allure of competitive sport.
Beating the odds; ephemeral, actual or whatever.

Now, having the correct and proper data to reinforce
arguments in defense of the sport's practice is another
story.

Some hypothetical posits; AERC Sanctions about 760,000 miles
of endurance competition. We have about 20,000 competitive
entries to the rides making up these miles. We have about
85% completion rate and of those not completing 2% are
metabolic reasons. Say we experience six fatalities of which
two can be attributed to poor riding practices. Two riders
means one one hundredth of one percent of all entries in a
year.

I believe a strong education effort would provide a greater
return on investment than any rule, data acquisition or
other preventative method as it would benefit all levels of
rider. In addition it would be proactive rather than
reactive.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises