Re: [RC] Pulse - Punishing the non-Arab breeds -- the problem - Heidi Smith

>here is my thought, having come from the same sporting background: My horses don't tend to be the most competitive cutting horses, but I don't expect that sport to change its expectations to suit my less suitable horses. The fact is that some breeds and even some individuals just aren't as well suited. The playing field will never be "level" enough to suit every person or horse. It shouldn't be.

AMEN, Sandy!  One HAS to design criteria to be in the best interests of the majority of horses.  Although I've not found particular breeds to have difficulties, I have on occasion run into specific individuals that had a difficult time with pulse criteria.  And I would submit that the fact that their hearts have to work harder to get the same amount of blood circulated is a problem in and of itself--so that having to meet the criterion that was difficult for them was still a "good thing" with regard to their being able to participate without problems.

Should I suggest that horse racing give my non-sprinters a head-start in order to "level" the playing field?  I think not.  Good recovery is simply a trait that is desirable in an endurance prospect, not to help him "beat the numbers" but to protect his health.  If a horse is less suitable with regard to that trait, he may well have to participate at a slower speed in order to maintain his health.  And after all, isn't that why we even bother to have vet checks (and criteria to pass them) in the first place?

Heidi