[RC] [RC] Response to Ms Fager - Maureen A. Fager

Linda,
Your first statement was ""Bingo! Come to NE CA and NW NV...........they regularly have 50 milers here, where the horses only see a vet after 25 miles and then again at the end of the race. There was talk of change after a mare died at the NASTR race 2001.........but it was just talk."
You have not proved this with any facts, I checked your ride record to see which 50 mile races you might have ridden to base this statement on, and low and behold, you have not ridden any. So, this statement is not fact based, but is just opinion, as you admitted in this statement "I applaud the fact that last year another VC was added to this particular race." If you do not know the facts, then let us know that you are expressing your opinion.

You insinuate that the people who do ride these races do not care. There is much you do not know, as you were not involved with the incident. The AERC requires reports when there is a death and these reports were filed. Also, the AERC did follow-up afterword with the vets and ride management. This information was told to me by some of the people involved.

You ask who spoke for the mare; the ride manager, the treatment vets, club members, the folks who own the property that put on the ride. You may not have heard their voices Linda, but guess what, they spoke up. Every rider at that ride was tramaized by what happened, and we want to protect our horses, but changes come slow and the problem is complex. There is more to it that just adding a few vet checks.

What was there to protest? That a moron rode a horse to death?? That a moron had many oppurtunities to care for her horse as provided by management on that day but did not?? Unfortunately Linda, we do not know by looking who is an idiot and who is not. In the final analiysis, the rider is ultimately responsible for the horse. On that day, the unfortunate horse was ridden by a very unresponsible person.

Speak up as you wish Linda, but please get your facts right first, and let us know where you are comming from, not as an insider as insinuated, but as an outsider who has never experienced an endurnance ride.

Oh, Linda, even if your protest had not been lost, guess what, the horse would still be dead.

Happy Trails,
Maureen
Reno, NV