[RC] re:preventing treated horses thread - Teresa Van Hove

I like the idea of having at LEAST 90 minutes of hold on a 50; but I
really prefer to have these in 2 holds.  Hardly anyone has crew around
here and 3 30 minute holds wouldn't leave the horses much time to each
after getting them to the trailer and back to the 'gate'.  My favorite
rides have 2 1 hour holds; I dont think they've ever had any serious
metabolic problems either.  Maybe back east its more important to have
more holds due to the humidity; but I could never support forcing 3
holds for all 50's.

Bumping requirements even to 2 holds has always been defeated because
the BOD doesn't want to losesome existing special rides where there is
only one spot to get ride vets in for a hold. So, heres a possible
solution:  AERC could require 2 holds totaling a minimum of 90
minutes; but allow for 1 hold rides as special sanctioning/special
qualification events.  ie. maybe ride managers would have to require
say 500 miles as a horse/rider team to enter these "1 hold 50's"  The
usual arguement for continueing to allow 1 hour hold 50's is that they
are mostly attended by experienced riders who know their horses so I
dont think such a lifetime mileage requirement should reduce
attendence by a harmful amount.

To the new person: AERC already rewards for many things other than
first across the finish line.  There is a best condition program; AERC
recognizes new riders every 250 miles, and all riders ever 1000 miles
completed, AREC recognizes all horses every 1000 miles completed; and
EVERY horse/rider pair that completes a ride accumulates points for
year-end awards (there is just a multiplication factor for placing in
the top 10- and thats for 4 different weight divisions.)  see
http://www.aerc.org/documents/rules2000.htm
--
Teresa Van Hove, M17417.