Re: [RC] speaking of twh/mft - rides2far

working trot is Pete's hand gallop.  A four-beat gait does not have
that over-reach that those really competitive arabs have.

I think the flight time of the trot is important. If you've always got
one foot on the ground you're never getting to take advantage of your
forward momentum and just fly.

"I was told that a gaited horse could not
fair > as well, because of the stamina, and because their tendons
couldn't
take it.",

I'd probably say heat was more a factor in this area, as far as the TWH
types that are a little heavier muscled. If I was a big gaited horse fan
though I'd just look for an appropriate one. I doubt there have been
enough people who started a horse from scratch and brought them along
with a base to state catagorically that "their tendons can't make it". My
guess is that a person who know what they were doing would be fine with a
horse that hadn't been screwed up with weighted shoes in the past.
Barbara Daily, years agon in the SE switched to a Paso when her knees got
bad. You could look up her record. Seems like his name was Paco or
something but he flew. I remember her winning a 50.

As for me, I *like* to ride a trot. I am more comfortable riding long
distances at a trot than at any other gait. I hate sitting all the time;
it makes my butt sore. A good posting trot is like  a perpetual motion
that is effortless. A canter wears on me more and I'll be leg sore after
50 miles on a real cantering horse. My number one reason for riding Arabs
is that the ones I've ridden enjoy endurance as much as I do. My other
breeds weren't having fun after 25 miles. If a non-Arab breed enjoys
endurance I think it's worth the extra work to condition them, but I hate
to see someone who's determined to be "different" riding a horse that's
not having fun just so they can make a point.

I am a little scared with all this talk of dying horses,

Any time you get worried about something you're reading on the internet,
back up, take a deep breath, go outside and inhale reality. You'll be
very hard pressed to find a piece of sky falling.

It sounds like you've been pretty conscious of speed in 25's. Get
yourself out of that mode and get very good at completing before you let
thoughts like what it takes to get BC cross your mind again...and just
let a 50 be twice as much fun. :-)

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!