[RC] how fast is too fast? - Laura Hayes

Sylvia wrote>>>>So PLEASE...at what speed does speed kill?  If anybody has the exact
formula....the Duck!?.....can you clue us in?  I'd consider riding a new/green horse
in 5 hour 50 milers as potentially deadly......Less deadly with an experienced
rider or a vet riding them, surely that's the case. <<<<

I think the blanket statement "speed kills" is pretty misleading.  I think "speed CAN wreak havoc" is more fitting.  Riding any horse 10mph for 50 miles can be hazardous, but it is done every week, and sometimes faster.

IMHO, and 25 years AERC of experience, I feel safe to say that if you condition your healthy, well fed horse in the manner in which many of the books, the AERC, and experienced riders recommend, you can safely go to a ride and under the watchful eye of a ride vet, pace your horse at your conditioning speed for 50 miles.  Build from there, go a little faster if you like, at subsequent rides, provided you have been passing vet checks and your finish line marks are good.  The key is to ride your horse enough to KNOW him.  Know when he is not right- even a LITTLE not right, and don't hesitate to pull him.

There is no formula, there is no recipe.  Each horse and rider are different and the rider needs be aware enough to know when to call the shots and slow down or when they can 'push the envelope' and speed up, if that is in their 'need'.

Laura Hayes  AERC#2741 (look at my record with Equal Terms, I started each of her two seasons back in the pack, and placed higher at each ride....I didn't do that on purpose...in fact, I didn't even know it until I went to the database to see how many miles she had..)