Re: [RC] When to call animal control? - heidi

For example, our horses (even the one that is retired) never go more
than 8 weeks without farrier care. Some people think 12 weeks is OK
(IMHO, this is borderline OK), others go to twice a year (bad, but is it
abuse?). Where do you draw the line? When should animal control be
involved?

Sorry, David, but I nearly rolled on the floor in laughter when I read
this one.  My broodmares and younger geldings live "out".  They are on a
rocky hillside part of the year, and on hayfields part of the year.  The
ground is hard in summer with the exception of some irrigation time, and
it is frozen in winter.  Several of the mares have received NO farrier
care since they moved here over three years ago.  The farrier is here
regularly to do the endurance horses--being shod during the months that we
ride, they DO need regular attention.  When somebody else has a problem
that NEEDS farrier care, they are run into the lineup.  One of the younger
geldings got a crack started and needed it fixed before it progressed, and
then needed trimming again as the repair grew out.  Occasionally we get a
broodmare with some flare or that doesn't wear evenly, and so needs
trimmed.  But most of the herd has not been touched by nippers or rasp
since we came, and they have lovely feet.  The stallions up in paddocks
need attention a bit more often, but they are active and move around a
lot, so with some, it would be a challenge to trim them every 12 weeks.
Some of them do need it that often, and a couple of them more often.  My
broken-legged colt needs trimmed every 4-6 weeks, on the other hand,
because he grows funny, due to the leg having healed with a bit of a twist
to it.  Thank heavens I can trim him myself on an as-needed basis, and
need not wait for a farrier visit, since he never seems to coincide with
when the farrier is here.

Is this lack of farrier care abusive or neglectful?  Heck, no--the bottom
line is healthy feet.  I do have one mare who has a propensity for
breaking off heels.  When she does that, she gets immediate farrier care.
But the trigger for care should be need--not a calendar.

I know that you probably intuitively "know" this, David.  But I couldn't
resist enlarging on this theme...

Deworming is a bit the same sort of thing.  I still have a need to deworm
here because I have youngsters and a bit of a concentration in feeding
areas in winter.  But if I only had a couple of horses on this size of a
place, the need for regular deworming would be doubtful as well.

Heidi