[RC] re. old Fords vs new Fords - Lari Shea

I own an '89 Ford F-250 diesel 4WD stick extended cab, in which I installed an after factory turbo, and a '99 Ford F-350 diesel 4WD, which came with rear doors for the back seat, 6 forward speeds and that incredible turbo.  There is no comparison!  I loved my old Ford, but the new one kicks ass!  It will haul over Donner Pass with a big camper on it,  hauling my 6 horse bumper pull at 55 MPH in 3rd gear.  The "Lariet" leather seats are infinitely adjustable and super comfortable,.... and I'm usually more a fan of bench seats.  The stereo roars.  I haul a horse trailer every day of the week with this truck, and the brakes have been long lasting and reliable.  It handles great on our twisty mountainous roads in the rain.... and I don't poke along.  The only oddity was the extremely smooth ride.... nearly like a boat on ocean swells.  It had a recall shortly after I bought it to firm up the suspension, which stopped the rocking when wind hit the camper.  It still drives like a luxury car, but handles any load I've put it to.

My favorite two stories about this truck.... getting a speeding ticket going 72 in a 55 on a deserted country road pulling six horses.  Damn, I was proud!  That truck deserved a medal, not a ticket~~

One night, a professional truck driver ground to a halt pulling a 45 ft long 5th wheel living trailer with 3 slide outs up an 8 percent grade gravel road near us.   I was at the top in my truck (with the camper on it).  So, I backed down the mountain, tied from my hitch to the front of his rig, and hauled his truck AND the trailer up to the top.

Seems my horses love the truck, also..... judging from the teeth marks decorating the red paint every place they can reach.  They don't do that to my green Dodge.

Lari

"What unites us all is a love of the out-of-doors, a spirit of adventure, and a passion for horses!"

Lari Shea                       http://www.horse-vacation.com
Ricochet Ridge Ranch    707-964-7669 ranch phone
24201 North Highway One 707-964-9669 home office ph/fax
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
        Riding Vacations on the Mendocino Coast
             with lodging at unique B&B Inns
                 International Riding Vacations
 Akhal Teke and Russian Orlov/cross horses for sale