[RC] GOVERNMENT HORSE ID-From another list - Jonni Jewell

(quote) >>>Given the fact that people don't follow the rules that are in
place (imagine that), what exactly does the USDA (or whatever government
branch intends to oversee all this) intend to do about this sort of thing?
Should that one horse that is not tagged contract something and spread it,
then the system hasn't really accomplished anything.<<<

I will admit, I do not raise cattle or other food source agriculture. BUT,
are those laws not pretty strict as it is as to vaccinations, health etc.???
When one is selling the product, or shipping it to sell, then I would assume
(correct me someone if I am wrong)  that those ranchers and farmers must
submit paperwork proving such vaccinations etc. to be able to do so. This
proposal seems that it is more geared towards cattle, poultry etc. etc.,
with the horses tossed in there. If the rancher has not complied to the
proposal, then I would guess that they would be unable to sell their stock.
In Texas, you MUST have a coggins to sell a horse. It would be up to the
buyer to waive the need for that if they chose to do so. But the law is
there. The proposal is to create the ability to track disease back to the
farm or ranch if a herd was to be found with an outbreak of something. So,
if they are not sold, never leave the farm, then the chance of disease
spread is less.
Jonni