Re: [RC] ???horse problems??? - Barbara McCrary

I mount from a large block of wood or the nearest boulder or log.  I just lead my horses up to the object and attempt to mount.  When at first they pull away, I just keep correcting them, over and over until they get the point.  It may take time, and a lot of patience.  I don't punish, I just repeat and repeat.  Once mounted, I insist on the horses standing until I gave them the OK to move forward.  I also stroke their necks and say lots of "good boy"s, etc.  If the horse has intelligence, he will eventually learn.  If he's stupid, and I've had a few of those, he may not get the picture.  I personally prefer intelligent ones; much easier to live with!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 12:49 PM
Subject: [RC] ???horse problems???

Hello! I have an appy mare who I just aquired and has excellent manners and movement, except she won't stand to mount! Since I'm riding an english saddle, I mount on the fence, but she won't stand against it. Ideas?
Also, she has started pooping in the barn instead of at the end of her run. I've tried shutting her out and leaving the poop piled at the end, but it doesn't seem to phase her. Advise, physical or psycological?
Thanks !  Laura