Re: [RC] ???horse problems??? - Susan_Bothern

I pretty well use Barbara's method, but had one horse, who was anything but stupid.  She'd wait till I got all set to get on and move.**  Very similar to Charlie Brown and Lucy holding the football.  Well was advised to make this girl trot around when she refused to stand still.  I did.  After the first few times, she got antsier and antsier (if that's a word) at the mounting block, and eagerly looked forward to her trotting sessions.  My son, who was 13, came out with some wise words to the fact that I sucked as a trainer.  LOL!  Y'see the horse I was training is a Standardbred Trotter.  To her living was trotting.  :-}  That was her way of putting on the Ritz.

Susan

**Now I know that sometimes a horse who avoids being mounted is showing signs of back or other soreness, including improper saddle fit.  All this was investigated.