Re: [RC] Howard's rant to me - heidi

THANK YOU, Joe, for summing up clearly and succinctly what it is that a
great many of us have been trying (unsuccessfully, apparently) to say to
Howard for awhile now.  I've been shoving Howard's last post around in the
inbox trying to come up with a response, and John Teeter made a good run
at it, but Joe, you said it better than any of us so far.

And Howard--if you REALLY want us to take your rhetoric seriously, the
FIRST thing you have to do is ride like you mean it--and I don't just mean
the metabolic pulls and treatments, but also the foolhardy gestures such
as trying to race with the hot shoes on the first loop, etc., that you so
frequently brag about on-line.  You can talk all you want about putting
the horse first, but you need to ride like that, too!  Yes, indeed,
Howard--putting the horse first is what this sport is all about.  Joe is
right on the mark about that.  But where that happens is when you are on
their backs and going down the trail.  Try it sometime--your horses will
thank you for it.  Meanwhile, I hope you print down Joe's post and tape it
somewhere where you'll see it every morning.  (The bathroom mirror comes
to mind.)  I've left it intact below in case you missed it the first time
around.  And the next time you get on a horse at a ride, I hope you have
your own quote ringing in your ears:  "We need to scream out for the world
to hear us say that 'our horses are placed ahead of any riders' or owners'
personal goals, and, their health and well being during an endurance event
takes precedence.'"  Only next time place YOUR horse's welfare ahead of
YOUR own personal goals, or feelings of macho-ness, or desire for a
thrill, or whatever.  And you don't have to scream it to the world--just
whisper it to your horse.  And mean it!  THAT, Howard, is what "horse
welfare" is about--a personal commitment one-on-one from a rider to his
horse, each and every time he saddles up and climbs aboard.

Meanwhile, like Joe, the great majority of us will continue to try to
pursue changes in our sport that make sense, rather than pursuing change
for the sake of change, just so we can feel warm and fuzzy about having
"done something."

Heidi

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:24:36 -0500, "Howard Bramhall"