Re: [RC] Howard's rant to me - Joe Long

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:24:36 -0500, "Howard Bramhall"
<howard9732@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Now, come on, I didn't do the same thing to another horse.  That horse is,
and, as it turned out, was not ever in life threatening danger like Dance
Line.  A shot of banamine, War Cry's gut sounds returned, and, he became
perfectly fine.  But, yea, he did scare the crap out of me, because, I knew I
could not go through again what I did go through with Dance Line.  Your
implications of me going through life threatening experiences with two
different horses is way off the mark.

Be that as it may, those are my only valid qualifications and it is the reason
why I take the stand that I do on this.

That those are your only valid qualifications is clear.  Why do you
not then try to understand what people with real qualifications tell
you about it?

The experience changed my life (the first one).  The second one shook me up
and re-enforced the experience of the first one.

Those two sentences are somewhat contradictory, no?

No matter how much you scream and rant and posture about horse deaths,
it's not going to relieve your guilt feelings about what you did to
your own horses.  You need to work through that yourself, and you must
begin by facing reality.  It was not the AERC's fault, not the ride
vet's fault, it wasn't because there weren't enough rules to prevent
you from doing what you did -- it was Howard's fault.

I hope to God it never happens to any of you, but, if it does, it will change
everything and affect how you feel about all of this, forever.  And, memories
of the experience will make your stomach tighten up and you'll feel queasy
anytime you think about it.

No doubt.  I hope that if it ever happens to me, I'll still be
rational about the subject.

Actually, to a degree it did happen to me.  Out of ignorance and
inexperience I rode too fast on Kahlil's second 50 mile ride, and he
tied up in the third vet check (and was treated with a shot of
painkiller/muscle relaxant).  The experience scared me down to my
bones, and caused me to not only slow down but sent me to do all the
research I was able on how to do it right.  What it didn't do was make
me blame everyone else for my mistake, demand immediate adoption of
half-baked rules, or loudly claim that no one else gave a damn.

I gotta tell ya'll, and, I do know some of you are out there because I have
met you at rides, but, I need others to speak out on this topic.

Lots of us have been speaking out, but you don't like what we say.

I know I'm not out here all alone, but, our mind set has to change.

Yours does, that's for sure.

We need to scream out for the world to hear us say that "our horses are placed
ahead of any riders' or owners' personal goals, and, their health and well
being during an endurance event takes precedence."

That's been the fundamental AERC philosophy for a long time, you
didn't invent it.  It was the primary campaign pledge I made in every
run for AERC Director, and my first priority throughout those terms.
But oh, yeah, "that was then," and now it's only you who is trying to
save the horses.

If we don't accept the idea of any changes ever happening to our sport, we
have no chance to reduce the numbers.

Nearly all of us are open to change, but we want change for the
better, not change for the sake of change, or for some warm-fuzzy
feeling of "doing something" that in reality makes things worse.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx