RE: [RC] mentors - j marshall

The mentoring program could be so much more! How do I
know that these are credible mentors? Are there
qualifications to be a mentor? I told the ride
managers at my first ride I was new and was never set
up with a mentor person to ride with. there is no
standard at rides with the "mentor program". Sure I
can find someone to ride with but I will have no idea
how experienced they are.
Have a great day!
Jen
--- Carol Stiles <cstiles@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steve wrote, "Take a look at the Ride & Tie website
for how they deal with mentoring.
Maybe AERC or Endurance Net can do something
similar. Ride and Tie's
mentoring program has been pretty successful. You
may want to talk to
Curt Riffle or Carol Ruprecht about it."
See:  http://www.rideandtie.org
Steve Shaw

AERC actually does have a mentoring program. There
is a list of people willing to mentor on the AERC
website. In addition as others have pointed out at
every ride meeting the night before a ride, if
someone new is looking for someone to ride with, all
they have to do is tell the Ride manager and they
will announce it usually at the end of the meeting
and set you up with someone. All you have to do is
ask.
 I remember my first endurance ride on my horse
Beau, he was rearing up so much I couldn't even get
on him, even with my late husband, who was 6'5"
holding him. My husband was begging me not to ride
when one of the last riders to leave camp, Karlon
Oliver walked by. She saw my horse acting like a
fire- breathing dragon and said, " I use to have a
horse just like him , park your horse behind mine
and let's go." And I've been riding with her ever
since. Karlon is really a special person, but there
are people at every ride willing to let a newbie
ride with them. : ) Carol

=====
Jen Marshall

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree